When it comes to cardiovascular training, a lot of people wonder what is the perfect time in the day to do it. Machines like treadmills and elliptical offer many benefits but if done at the right time, the benefits can be multiplied. According to researchers however, there is no significant proof of when the best time is to use these fitness equipments. But there are certain factors to consider when you are picking the time or part of the day to do your cardiovascular training. The following is some more information on the same:
- As most people would agree, you must use treadmill and elliptical when you are feeling the most energetic. Both these machines offer benefits only if you work hard on them and use them for atleast 30-40 minutes and this is only possible when you are feeling energetic and motivated. Because of this reasons, mornings can be considered as the perfect time to do your cardiovascular training since you are refreshed, motivated and energetic during this part of your day.
- If you are not a morning person, then this time may not suit you since you may feel lethargic after waking up. In this case, you can select the time of the day when you are energetic. A lot of people workout in late evenings after completing all other tasks of the day.
- To get the best results from using a treadmill like Bowflex Treadclimber and an elliptical trainer like NordicTrack Elliptical, you must make it a point to separate your cardio training days from your weight training days. This is especially important for those who are aiming to gain more mass. Doing cardio training before lifting weights can deplete the levels of glycogen in your body and may go against the purpose of lifting weights completely.
- For women who do not aim to gain muscle mass, it is considered fine to do cardio training before a low intensity session of weight training.
- If you aim to try and get both your cardiovascular training and resistance training in one session, then you must do your cardio workout after weight training. This is so because weight training does not hurt your glycogen levels and you will be able to get benefit from your cardio workout after that.
- Another thing to remember about timing of your cardio workout is that you should not do it on an empty stomach. Without food your body won’t be able to draw out enough energy to perform high resistance and high intensity training. If you work out on an empty stomach, your body will start looking for other sources to take energy from and will thus take it from your muscles and this can lead to losing muscle. But remember that you must avoid eating a proper meal before the elliptical or treadmill session. A light snack atleast 30 minutes before the workout will be just perfect.